Ever wanted to complete a 10k or Half Marathon? The Fusion Spa & Wellness team are here to get you motivated and prepared to take part in a running event, and when to start half marathon training.
Andrew, Head of Fusion Spa & Wellness and Abi one of the Personal Trainers plus Katy, one of our PGA Professional Golfers will be taking part in the Cardiff Half Marathon on Sunday 1st October 2017 raising money for Age Cymru and Velindre Cancer Centre.
Doing a half marathon with very little training is not really recommended. Four weeks before, as a warm up to the event, the team will also be taking part in the Cardiff 10k on Sunday 3rd September 2017. It is an ideal opportunity to test their fitness ahead of race day and to practice with the sportswear, drinks and nutrition you plan to use on half marathon race day.
The course is flat and fast, with iconic sites of the City all the way along the route including Cardiff University, Cardiff City Hall, Alexandra Gardens, the National Museum of Wales and Roath Park and Lake.
The running team have been training in the newly refurbished gym. Which half marathon training programme is the best? There is a lot of advise out there, but here are their hints and tips about getting prepared:
- Take your training one day at a time. A half marathon may is a daunting prospect, do not expect to be able to do it all as once.
- Training plans. There are a variety of 12 week training plans suitable for all ages and fitness levels.
- Build your strength. Do not just concentrate on cardio during your workouts. Building strength with weights, and getting a strong core will help you with your endurance.
- On average a marathon is 15,000 steps, and it is your muscles that will ache on the final stretch. Squats replicate and exaggerate a running movement as well as being great for engaging quads, hamstrings and glutes. Aim to add these into your workout sessions 2-3 times a week.
- Focus on speed, endurance and recovery. You will have good days and bad days, be flexible and do not be too hard on yourself.
If you are a bit daunted about being ready for this October, a gym membership can get you started. All of our memberships include full use of the newly refurbished gym with new equipment throughout, weekly fitness classes, use of the pool, jacuzzi, hydro spa and sauna, personalised fitness plans from the Bryn Meadows personal trainers plus resort discounts on food, drink, spa treatments and more.
During August 2017 you can get 15 months for the price of 12 which is as little as £6.13 per week.